Privacy Notice: What information do we collect?
- Forms (contact info)
- Login or signup information (names and passwords)
- Ad scripts running on any pages of our site (demographics)
- Cookies (web browsing history)
- Commenting scripts (IP address and location)
- Social media integration (friends and family)
What do we use your information for?
- To personalize your experience: (Your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs)
- To improve our website: (We continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you)
- To improve customer service: (Your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs)
- To send periodic emails: (The email address you provide may be used to send you information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions)
Third-Party Websites and Applications
We use commenting and social media plug-ins and third-party websites. We use those third-party services to interact with visitors and to build our community on social media. We also use these third-party services to measure the number of visitors to our website, to interact with visitors on the site, and to make our website more useful to visitors.
In such cases, the third-party application may request an email address, username, password, internet protocol (IP) address, and geographic location for account registration or sign-in purposes. We do not use those third-party websites or services to collect personal information from individuals. Any personal information collected by the third-party website will not be stored or transmitted by us. We have no control over or access to specific login information or any other sensitive personal information provided to third-party websites.
Information for Tracking and Customization (Cookies)
We collect and temporarily stores certain information about your visit to help us to better align our content and the website design with your needs. The information these cookies collect includes:
- The domain you access our website from
- Your computer’s IP address
- The date and time you accessed the site
- The operating system of your computer
- The browser you’re using to access our site
- The Universal Resource Locators (URLs) of the pages you visit on our website
- Your username, if you’ve logged into the site
- The URL of the site you came from if you clicked a link there that brought you to our website
We may share this information internally with our employees or third-party contractors as needed. This information is only used to improve the website and enhance our visitor’s experience. Raw data logs are only retained temporarily site management purposes.
Some of the services on this website allow you to send us an email. We will use the information you provide, such as email address or phone number, only to respond to your inquiry. Keep in mind that email transmissions are not encrypted by default, so we suggest you do not send sensitive information such as Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, or bank account information via such contact forms.
If such information is required, it will be via a web page that clearly states the page and its transmission of information is secure and encrypted. All electronic messages received from visitors are deleted when no longer needed.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Like many other websites, we use log files. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, type of browser, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and the number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
We take the security of your personal information very seriously. We take many precautions to ensure that the information we collect is secure and inaccessible by anyone outside of our organization. These precautions include advanced access controls to limit access to that information to only internal personnel who require access to that information. We also use numerous security technologies to protect all data stored on our servers and related systems. Our security measures are regularly upgraded and tested to ensure they are effective.
We take the following specific steps to protect your information:
- Use internal access controls so only limited personnel have access to your information.
- Anyone with access to user information is trained on all relevant security and compliance policies.
- Servers that store visitors information are regularly backed up to protect against loss.
- All information is secured through modern security technologies like secure socket layer (SSL), encryption, firewalls, and secure passwords.
All access safeguards described above are in place to prevent unauthorized access by outsiders to information stored on or transmitted by our systems.
Choice, Access, and Redress
You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number is given on our website:
- Ask for a list of personal information we have about you (if any).
- Request a change, correction, or deletion of your personal information.
- Request that we avoid collecting anything in the future (opt-out).
If you do not wish to have cookies stored on your machine, you have the option to turn cookies off in your browser. However, keep in mind that turning off cookies may impact how this website functions. Disabling browser cookies will also impact how other websites you visit store browser cookies as well.
Whenever we collect any sensitive information (such as social security numbers or credit card information), the information is encrypted and securely transmitted. You are able to confirm this by looking for the ‘lock’ icon in the browser address bar, and also confirm that the URL link starts with ‘https’.